pixystixy

A healthy dose of daily randomness

The Disinformation of “family jewels” from the CIA June 26, 2007

Filed under: News,Uncategorized — pixystixy @ 5:51 pm

A glimpse into the CIA’s ‘family jewels’

The Associated Press

Published: June 26, 2007

 

WASHINGTON: The Central Intelligence Agency released hundreds of pages of internal reports Tuesday detailing assassination plots against foreign leaders like Fidel Castro and the secret testing of mind-and-behavior altering drugs like LSD on unwitting U.S. citizens.

The documents also provided information on tapping journalists’ phones, spying on demonstrators who supported civil rights or opposed the Vietnam War, opening private mail between the United States and the Soviet Union or China, and breaking into the homes of former CIA employees and others.

Inside the Central Intelligence Agency, the documents were referred to as the “skeletons.” But another name quickly caught on and stuck: “Family jewels.”

The 693 pages, mostly drawn from the memories of active CIA officers in 1973, were turned over at that time to three different investigative panels: President Gerald Ford’s Rockefeller Commission, the Senate’s Church Committee and the House’s Pike Committee.

The panels spent years investigating and amplifying on these documents. And their public reports in the mid-1970s filled tens of thousands of pages. The scandal sullied the reputation of the intelligence community and led to new rules for the CIA, the FBI and other spy agencies and new permanent committees in Congress to oversee them.

Among the more famous misdeeds was the Castro plot in 1960. In August that year, the CIA recruited a former FBI agent, Robert Maheu, to approach a Chicago mobster, John Roselli, and pass himself off as the representative of international corporations who wanted Castro killed. Roselli introduced Maheu to “Sam Gold” and “Joe,” who were actually Sam Giancana, Al Capone’s successor in Chicago, and Santo Trafficante Jr., the mob boss in Florida.

The CIA gave them six poison pills, and they tried unsuccessfully for several months to have several people put them in the Cuban leader’s food.

This particular plot was dropped after the failed CIA-sponsored invasion of Cuba at the Bay of Pigs, but other plots continued against Castro. Details of this plot first appeared in Jack Anderson’s newspaper column in 1971.

Last week, the director of Central Intelligence, Michael Hayden, told a conference of historians that “the documents provide a glimpse of a very different time and a very different agency.”

A CIA spokesman, George Little, said Hayden has been declassifying historic documents as a way of demonstrating the CIA’s accountability. “The collection was reviewed exhaustively by the Rockefeller Commission and congressional committees in the 1970s,” he said. “Moreover, many of the documents have been released to the public on prior occasions.”

These documents were also one of the products of the Watergate scandal that led to President Richard Nixon’s resignation.

The CIA director under Nixon, James Schlesinger, was angered to read in the newspapers that the CIA had provided support to the former CIA agents E. Howard Hunt and James McCord, who were convicted in the Watergate break-in.

Hunt had worked for a secret “plumbers’ unit” in Nixon’s White House. The unit, originally set up to investigate and end leaks of classified information, ultimately engaged in a wide range of misconduct.

In May 1973, Schlesinger ordered “all senior operating officials of this agency to report to me immediately on any activities now going on, or that have gone on the past, which might be construed to be outside the legislative charter of this agency.” The law establishing the CIA barred it from conducting spying inside the United States.

The result was the 693 pages of memos that arrived after Schlesinger had moved to the Pentagon and been replaced as CIA chief by William Colby. Colby ultimately reported the contents to the Justice Department.

“These are the top CIA officers all going into the confessional and saying, ‘Forgive me, father, for I have sinned,’ ” said Thomas Blanton, director of the private National Security Archive, which had requested release of the documents under the Freedom of Information Act.

 

My Reflection on the Chris Benoit News June 25, 2007

Filed under: Newest Entries,News,Strange Observations — pixystixy @ 10:35 pm

Even though I have never considered myself an avid wrestling fan, the WWE has been catching a lot of flack for the recent death of Chris Benoit and his family and personally, I think it is wrong to criticize the WWE for the Vince McMahon “death stunt” at this time.

WWE is fake. Everyone knows it, including it’s most devote fans. Vince McMahon’s death was a huge publicity scheme to draw in more viewers and I must say, it was just shocking and attention grabbing enough to do just that.

Now that the deaths of Chris Benoit and his family are lumped into this ordeal, it has become a target of public outpouring criticism and anger. To me, this is just as ridiculous as blaming Marilyn Manson for the Columbine shootings.

As much as we wish to pinpoint easy to solve reasons for horrible events, it is not that clean cut and clear. I listen to hard rock music and play Grand Theft Auto but I am still proud to say I have never shanked a prostitute or contemplated murdering anyone.

We can’t blame television, music or the movies for these events. Yes, somethings on T.V. are in poor taste and there are CDs I won’t buy from certain artists but we can’t blame a disgusting attempt at marketing wrestling to a larger demographic for its timing. Who knew?

**********************************

To further comment (June 26, 2007 at 11:44 pm)

To be honest, the “teasers” they had about McMahon’s death had me interested in watching! It seemed like an exciting storyline had finally began. I do not believe that Chris Benoit’s death did anything but take away from this since the WWE had to abandon the storyline immediately to have their “tribute” episode. I do agree with “Casual Observation” who commented on my earlier entry that doing this tribute may have been in poor taste since this situation is being investigated as a double murder-suicide still, however I do understand why the WWE would choose to do it this way.

Chris Benoit, as a wrestler, was amazing. Obviously the WWE and wrestling fans everywhere want to remember him as just that. I believe that is why the tribute was done. Many, many years ago, before information was literally at everyone’s fingertips this may have been enough to put positive spin on what happened … even to the point of ignoring evidence. In the age of technology however, we cannot accept the fact that someone larger than life who is idolized by hundreds and thousands of people could do such a thing … even if it is still speculation at this point.

Just like the Virginia Tech massacre, people are outraged by this move. Just as people were angered by news stations airing the manifesto of a deranged killer then, people will be mad about a tribute to a suspected murderer now. I understand that from both angles.

I am a firm believer that when tragedy strikes, sometimes it is just in best taste to announce it to the world and leave it be until more information comes to light. Speculation at this point is worthless, especially since the sheriffs working on this case seem to be tight-lipped still. I believe that the best move is to feel things out first, since it is obvious controversy will surround this subject for quite some time now … however the WWE is not unfamiliar with controversy at all. In fact, it sort of thrives on it so who knows. Maybe it was their prerogative to air this tribute right after the news came out about Benoit’s death after all.  Obviously no one will ever know for sure … except of course the “late” Vince McMahon. 😉

 

WWE Star Chris Benoit found Dead — Vince McMahon “memorial service” cancelled

Filed under: Newest Entries,News,Strange Observations,Uncategorized — pixystixy @ 10:11 pm

Chris Benoit Dead: McMahon “Death” Storyline Ends Maybe there is something to the idea of “fooling death”, although the saying was not intended for how Professional Wrestling icon Vince McMahon is doing it. Following an elaborate “hoax” where McMahon allegedly faked his own death comes word that Professional Wrestler Chris Benoit has passed away.

The “death hoax” has already received a degree of backlash since it was conceived just prior to the sudden death of popular professional women’s wrestler, Sherri Martel. Autopsy reports concluded that Ms. Martel did not die of natural causes, however, foul play was not suspected.

McMahon’s camp was quick to end the “Vince McMahon is Dead” storyline on Monday.

Now comes word that Professional Wrestler Chris Benoit is dead and this one is especially alarming.

Wrestling star Chris Benoit, his wife, Nancy, and their 7-year-old son Daniel were found dead in their suburban Atlanta home Monday. Authorities are investigating the deaths as homicides.

Benoit, 40, was scheduled to spar against C.M. Punk in a pay-per-view event Sunday night in Houston for the Extreme Champion Wrestling title. But Benoit canceled before the event, citing personal reasons.

Lt. Tommy Pope of the Fayette County Sheriff’s Department told ABC News that Benoit had missed several appointments over the weekend, leading concerned parties to ask police to do a “welfare check.”

When sheriffs arrived at the Benoit home, they found the wrestler, his wife, and their son dead.

There was no sign of gunshot wounds or stabbing, according to Pope. But they are not ruling out other causes, such as poisoning, suffocation, or strangulation. Pope noted he was not confirming any of these causes — just not ruling them out at this time.

An autopsy has been scheduled for Tuesday morning at 10 a.m. However, it could be weeks before there is a result.

Following the announcement of the discovery, World Wrestling Entertainment issued a statement: “Chris was beloved among his fellow superstars, and was a favorite among WWE fans for his unbelievable athleticism and wrestling ability. He always took great pride in his performance, and always showed respect for the business he loved, for his peers and towards his fans. This is a terrible tragedy and an unbearable loss. WWE extends its sincere condolences and prayers to the Benoit family and loved ones in this time of tragedy.”

WWE announced that it would drop its planned line-up on the USA Network to air a three-hour tribute to Benoit.

Two weeks ago, a WWE storyline had Chairman Vince McMahon step into a limo and presumably get blown up though the story was quickly deemed a “hoax” by mainstream media (not necessarily so by the Professional Wrestling circuit).

Considering the recent demise of WWE Superstar Chris Benoit and his family, and the live showing of McMahon in the empty arena of the canceled June 25th, 2007 edition of RAW, McMahon appeared Monday to break the news, thus ending the “Vince McMahon is dead” storyline.

WWE canceled the scheduled three hour long live RAW show on June 25, and replaced the broadcast version with a tribute to his life and career, featuring his past matches, segments from the Hard Knocks DVD and comments from wrestlers and announcers.

Christopher Costigan, Gambling911.com

Originally published June 25, 2007 10:45 pm ET

WWE wrestler Chris Benoit and family found dead

BY ALFONSO A. CASTILLO

 

June 25, 2007, 8:58 PM EDT

Renowned pro wrestler Chris Benoit, his wife and their 7-year-old-son, were found dead Monday afternoon in their Fayetville, Ga. home, Atlanta police said.

Police would not give any details on how Benoit, 40, his wife Nancy, and son Daniel died, other than to say they were not shot to death, the Atlanta-Journal Constitution reported Monday. Authorities are investigating the deaths and are considering the possibility of a murder-suicide, where Benoit killed his family over the weekend and himself on Monday. The three bodies were found in different rooms of the home, according to reports.

The news came just a day after Benoit mysteriously pulled out of a World Wrestling Entertainment pay per view event, during which he was expected to be crowned Extreme Championship Wrestling world champion. Various pro wrestling news sources reported that Benoit was unable to appear at the event due to a family emergency.

“There are no further details at this time, other than the Benoit family residence is currently being investigated by local authorities,” the WWE said in a statement on its Web site.

Benoit was a 22-year ring veteran and perennial favorite of wrestling purists, who praised his high-intensity style and technical acumen. His aggressive wrestling technique earned him the nicknames “The Crippler” and “The Rabid Wolverine.” In 2000 and 2004, he was named Oustanding Wrestler of the Year by the Wrestling Observer newsletter and in 2004 he was named Wrestler of the Year by Pro Wrestling Illustrated magazine.

The Edmonton, Canada native trained to become a wrestler in Calgary, and honed his skills in Japan before becoming a regular on U.S. national promotions in the mid-1990s. Benoit’s career highlight took place in New York, when he won his first World Wrestling Entertainment world heavyweight championship in Madison Square Garden in the main event of WrestleMania XX.

Benoit cried as he celebrated in the ring with his wife and son, as well as best friend, wrestler Eddie Guerrero, who died in 2005.

“Wrestling has consumed my life,” Benoit said in a 2004 WWE career retrospective video. “Wrestling is my mistress. It’s my passion. It defines who I am as a person.”

WWE Monday night canceled its scheduled live 3-hour “Monday Night RAW” program, which coincidentally was originally billed as a “memorial service” for WWE chairman Vince McMahon, whose character was recently killed off in a controversial scripted storyline.

McMahon opened the show from center ring in an empty arena and clarified that Benoit and his family had died “in reality.” McMahon called Benoit “one of the greatest WWE superstars of all-time.”